Another attack by an Afghan service member has killed four French troops and wounded 16.
This brings my unofficial tally of the grim toll to 52 Western personnel killed by Afghan security forces in the past 26 months since the November 2009 attack by an Afghan policeman that killed five British troops inside the wire.
But looking back, I find that on October 3, 2009, two Americans were killed and two others wounded as they slept by an Afghan Army soldier on duty.
To the best of my caclulations, that makes 54 infidels murdered by Muslim "allies" in Afghanistan in the past 27 months.
Make that 56. (I previously neglected to add in this December 2010 double murder at a bazaar.)
This figure is almost certainly low not only because I may have missed a report, but it's quite possible that other incidents, particularly in action, have gone undetected, unreported. The total also doesn't take into account non-fatal incidents, such as the September 2009 attack on an American soldier for drinking water during Ramadan by an Afghan policeman in Kabul. The American was "only" seriously wounded.
Today's attack on the French is different from all of the others in that it has elicited a healthy reflex in the French: the survival reflex.
From the AFP report:
French troops had surrounded their base in Kapisa and were not allowing any Afghan soldiers to approach, a security source told AFP.
The AP reports:
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Friday that France is suspending its training programs for Afghan troops after the killings, which he announced in a speech after the U.S-led coalition said an Afghan soldier shot and killed four NATO troops.
Sarkozy said it was "unacceptable" that Afghan troops would attack French soldiers. He said French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe is heading to Afghanistan after the attack, which is among the most deadly for French forces in the 10 years they have been serving in the NATO-led international force in Afghanistan.